Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Resistance: When Letting Go Still Isn't Enough

Part of me feels I don't have the right to talk/write about this subject because I get into a state of resistance often and have trouble getting out. Maybe, though, this gives me an advantage, because the more often you have to do something, the more practice you get. Ah, who is kidding who. I haven't conquered resistance so all the more reason we should talk about it!

"Let Go and Let God." Great advice, but sometimes you can want to release, but part of you resists. Did you know that you can want and desire nothing more than to let go, but there are attributes you posses as a human that would totally preclude you from doing this? Yes, there are actually safe guards put in place that may keep you from seeing what is really inside of yourself that is resisting healing. Things that have happened to you from a very young age that are so terrifying or hurtful that your body and psyche won't allow you to "see" or feel out of fear you can't handle them. So if that is the case, how can you let go of them if you don't even know what they are?

We all have "drivers"; things that exist within us that push or pull us out of our soulful place of peace and tranquility and throw us into a tailspin of anxiety, anger, or fear. These drivers come from external and internal factions and sometimes we are not in control of how they make us feel. Part of the manipulation process is in recognizing what could be driving us at any given time. Another part of the process is to use the info to manipulate out of a mood, thought, action before it hurts us or others. But wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of the negative drivers in the first place? That (healing) is the best part of positive manipulation!

This is an open blog ladies and gents, and I would love your help in figuring out how to resist releasing. As much as I know about this process, I would love input from your own experiences in letting go and your resistance to it. Let's remember, there are physical, emotional, mental, and spirutual aspects to release so try and cover all the bases. If you have rid yourself of negativity that was extreme and would like to share it, we are all ears!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know i am one who probably resists due to fear of change or unknown; not having faith in my decision making. This has been true most of my life. I have always looked back on major decisions I made and thought that they were wrong or even self destructive (to a degree). This fear keeps me stagnant or unwilling to make changes that would more than likely be very healthy in the long run. Then there are the elements of accepted responsiblity that block the "letting go". I always seem to need help sorting this out. There are a few things I my life that i wish I could let go of but something keeps me tied up and I cannot do it.

Donna said...

Dear Anonymous,

You are very wise to understand yourself so well. Wise enough to sort it out, but as you said, it is probably the aspect of taking responsibility for your participation. That seems to be the toughest aspect for everyone.

I think we all seem to like staying in pain to a degree and beleiving that someone hurt us or it is society's fault, or even blame it on childhood. When we face ourselves and our own participation, we feel bad for a short amount of time, but we have the ability then to say, "Okay, but I'll never do that again!"

Thank you so much for coming forward with your response. It was very enlightened! D.