Friday, March 13, 2009

A little negativity goes a long way

Many years ago I wrote an article for a Long Island Magazine with this same title. The premise was that even a small amount of negativity can create a huge reaction. The truth is, negative energy has very little power. Unfortunately, there is so much of it that it "feels" strong. Positive thoughts, actions, words and feelings are far more powerful and yet, sometimes they seems so difficult to utilize.

This week, a very angry person came on the blog to express their dislike for me. He/she believes I am a phony and an angry person because of dealings he/she had with me many years ago. Their negative attitude was so appauling to some of my clients that it generated an outpour of retaliation and anger towards "Anonymous". Of course I was happy to see so many people not have the same opinion, but truthfully, the "anonymous" writer didn't make me angry. It was so obvious to me that he/she was in pain, it made me sad. All I wanted to do was help them heal.

I don't know what day one wakes up and decides to love unconditionally. I do know that when it happens, you never go back. You never again decide to hate or even use derogatory words. When you get rid of anger, and replace it with love, your body rises off the floor. Your skin radiates from the inner glow. Your eyes sparkle from knowingness and your mouth flourishes with beautiful words. It makes you think, "why would I ever want negativity to effect me again when I can be like this all the time?"

When I get hate mail, and thankfully that is very seldom, I think of Jesus. He had so many people who loved him and yet he was hung on a cross and left to die at the hands of people who hated him. If he could take being cruicifed in that way, than I can take a little spewing from someone who most probably needs my help more than anyone.

The lesson here is quite clear, we need to heal what is within ourselves, to look at what is not right or what could be hurtful to others and decide to correct it. No one can judge another. No one can decide who is bad or who is good. Look behind the words of Anonymous and decide that you want to help them rather than ridicule them and you will teach them an entirely different approach to negativity; An approach that is attached with humility, empathy, and the kind of love that transforms lives.

A final note to Anonymous: the past is not who we are, it only details what we have been through. Who we are is how we decide to be, now and every minute of every day forward. Every day is an opportunity to start a New Day. D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome "back". I had hoped you would start posting again frequently just so that positive energy could flow again. thanks