Ten new year's resolutions that are actually easy to stick to and will absolutely change your body, your psyche, and your life. (I know because they have changed mine!) And the best part: They don't require exercise or dieting. :-)
1. Drink less caffeinated drinks.
One cup a day can have its benefits and rewards, but more than 6 oz and you could be screwing up your entire endocrine system and more. Understand, a) it dehydrates, b) it could screw up cortisol levels, c) it can make a mess of sleep patterns, d) it is most likely filled with pesticides and chemicals, e) it is made with tap water and that has chlorine. Most people don't realize that boiling and heating chlorine makes it more powerful, not less. And what does chlorine do? It kills bacteria. What is your gut filled with? You got it: Bacteria! So if you are wondering why you have so many gut issues, then coffee, with all the stuff you put in it to make it taste better, could be the reason.
The answer is simple; start weaning. Use naturally decaffeinated coffee mixed in with your regular and slowly over the course of two weeks go down to 3/4 decaf with 1/4 regular. Use organic coffee and filtered water; stop going to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. You'll save a ton of money and your health if you make it fresh at home.
2. Drink more water at night. (But not bottled water; get a filter and, again, save a ton of cash while taking out the chlorine.) Drink some before going to bed or when you get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Here's the deal: Dehydration makes it impossible for your body to rebuild and repair at night. It also makes it impossible for your brain to truly rest. If you are wondering why you can't stop "thinking" all night, it could be you just need some pure water. I put Frankincense in mine and some other essential oils (Doterra brand) and it is like a health elixir... it's really helping me stay balanced.
3. Walk more. Park away from the front entrance; make two trips up and down stairs to bring up the laundry; forget the elevator and take the stairs at work... Do anything you can to add on steps. Walking was just proven to be better than yoga and cardio when it comes to retaining memory and enhancing brain function. Yes, you have probably made this commitment before and couldn't stick with it. To break out of the old and into the new, don't bother looking for a parking spot anymore; pick the first one you see and then thank yourself for doing your body the good deed.
4. Take one unhealthy personal hygiene product away from yourself per week or month. Toothpaste, liquid soap, hairspray, shampoo, skin care products... If you dare, look up the ingredients on Ewg.org to see what carcinogenic, endocrine interrupting, absolutely harmful chemicals are in there. I can honestly attest to the hormonal changes from my wrinkle cream! But I will admit, it took me two years to get myself to switch every single product in my bathroom and nightstand over to organic, chemical-free stuff. The reward, though, is outstanding skin covering a more hormonally balanced body. I make all my own skincare products now with essential and other natural oils... I smell like something you would want to barbeque, but I look great for my age! :-)
5. Watch less television, most especially the news, anything truly violent, and any shows with commercials. You have no idea how much negativity you are being forced to manipulate out of daily and how much brainwashing is being done on you in a day! We are bombarded every single minute with opinions and ads, and most of them are planting stressful thoughts in our minds, making us less happy and more in tune with what we don't want, rather than what we do want. Do yourself a favor, time your favorite show and keep track of its commercial segments. There are about 15 minutes of ads or more in a 30-minute show. Track their content: Prescription drugs, food, cars, weight loss programs... We are being taken advantage of when you think about the fact that we pay between $75 and $200 a month to watch over 50% commercials! If you ask me, this is insane... It's not the boob tube or the cable company that's to blame; it's us, the boob heads that are paying for and watching it!
6. Write down your most troubling thoughts on paper, then come up with a mantra that totally contradicts them. Speak the mantra every single time you have those negative thoughts. If you think you are fat, say "I love my body!" If you believe you are sick, say "I'm a self-healing machine!" If you are worried about bills, say "All I need is flowing right in towards me!" If you feel like a fraud saying these things, get over it! It is your ego that is fraudulent. You possess the two most powerful tools you will ever need to get and do anything you want. If you haven't guessed already, they are your head and your heart, and they were made to operate without boundaries, so don't start putting any on them. Repeat: "I have faith in the powers that be; I believe in me!" And if this doesn't work for you after one week, you can always go back to rehashing all the old negative crap. Remember, the only failure would be to never try.
7. Every time your mind attempts to judge someone, turn the tables on it. Ask to see their soul instead! Don't worry; you can still find things wrong with them later, but when we just try to seek goodness in people, they surprise us by showing their goodness! Stay in judgment and they will feel it and will react to it by going ego to ego with us. And how do we really want to spend our day... ego to ego or soul to soul? Knowing how truly powerful the soul is, most would choose soul every time.
8. Before getting out of bed in the morning, pledge the day. Step into it on purpose by stating it is going to be whatever it is you want it to be: Peaceful, restful, spontaneous, uplifting, productive, lucrative.... Irrespective of what you want to achieve, you have to set yourself up for it. Think about it this way, you are going to move in some sort of direction; don't you want each step to be deliberate? Time is going to be passing you by; wouldn't you rather pass through time? Bottom line, you can't help but walk into the future you are preparing for, so don't let the day just unfold. Decide what that future is so you can steer yourself right into it.
9. Clean something out. Whether it is a drawer, a closet, an entire room, the basement, garage, or attic... just start with one thing that is really bothering you and feng shui the crap out of it! I can't detail all of the energy benefits in one article, but if you can just do it, you will prove to yourself in an hour what a truly profound release this task can have on your life and psyche. Feel like the world is weighing down on you? Start with the attic. Feel like you can't stay grounded? Start with the basement. Feel like you have no idea what direction to go in? Organize your shoes in the closet! It's easy to start: Just ask yourself what your most troubling concern is right now and then walk through your living quarters (or office) with that issue in mind. Allow your inner guidance system to lead you right to the problem area. Don't say no to it! Just admit to it. You don't have to start immediately, but you do have to acknowledge it as a potential block. Then commit to doing one thing, even if it is throwing away a single piece of paper on that friggin junk pile on your desk (that directive was actually meant for me!) Allow for the new energy to take you the rest of the way when you feel led to.
10. Stop blaming; when we blame, all things stay the same. When we take personal responsibility, we go from woe is me to "Whoa, it's me!" We are, after all, the common denominators in all our life's episodes, so who else would have the power to change the future we are walking into; the people we are engaging with, the food we are eating, the life we are leading? Want to stop being a victim? Then instantly become a victor by saying, "I'm owning up to all that I am experiencing because as soon as I do, I get to change all that I am experiencing going forward!
If you have read through all ten suggestions, consider yourself already very motivated! If you want more, please allow me to shamelessly lead you to my new book, "My Mini Book of Mighty Mantras," available on Amazon. It has 369 more ideas to make all your days the most powerful and productive they can be. <3