Monday, October 15, 2012


Many years ago, when I was a sales person in the construction industry, I sat myself down in my boss's office and whined, "I feel like I am working nonstop and getting nowhere. I am starting to think I am lost!"

He said to me, "Donna, I see exactly where you are and what you are doing. Think of me as a helicopter pilot and I am hovering over the forest you are in. I see you clearly chopping away at every tree in your way, and you are creating a perfectly straight line heading right for your destination. Don't fear that it is all for nothing. You are making great progress. You will be out of the woods soon enough!"

And in fact, he was right. Not long after, I reached the “tipping point” and sales soared. I will never forget his encouraging words, but there was something else very important that I gleaned from that day...the knowingness that even though I felt lost and couldn't see the “forest from the trees,” I was still going exactly where I needed to go. My goal and motive were so clear that nothing could stand in my way…not even myself.

We all have the power to see what isn't there; to envision our dream; to bring in whatever we need to accomplish our goals. We just have to keep remembering that the physical part of ourselves is not our ultimate power…it houses our ultimate power. Just let go of what you “think” you need to do in order to “feel” and “hear” direction. The person in the helicopter exists within YOU.

No comments: