Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Soda Wars!


And the debate continues: The soda ban, albeit well intended, is not going to solve the obesity issue. In fact, I believe it is actually causing more harm than good. I am a fan of the Mayor and his efforts to create wellness programs with city employees and also the population, but I can’t agree with the methods he is using to deliver the message that soda is a contributor to obesity and illness.

I would like to see a mandatory calorie count on every cup, in big numbers of course. Many people don’t realize that a 38 oz cola (the size of a 7-Eleven Super Gulp with ice) is 512 calories and 128 grams of sugar. That is more sugar than 7 bananas, and ½ the calories a dieter is supposed to get in a day. By banning, we (wellness advocates) risk alienating the very people we are trying to help. If we educate, we have a shot at getting their attention without pushing our views on them.

Yes, I fought hard for second-hand smoke laws and the banning of cigarette smoke in any public place, but that was to protect the innocent—those of us who want to breathe and smell air without carcinogens. Big difference between the two, don’t you think?. I totally understand why the Mayor is doing this. I agree with his intention; I love his desire to create change; and I applaud his passion. I just don’t think we are going to achieve the desired effect; which is to get Americans healthier and more responsible for their food and drink choices.

Mayor, if you are listening, “I love you; I respect you, but we may need to rethink this one.” D.

No comments: