Wednesday, July 4, 2012

You May Want to Get Out of My Way...

It is a day of independence…one in which we commend and honor our forefathers who bravely fought for a new ideal and what they believed would be the land of the free. I haven’t fought in a war, but I fight for the rights of many every day. It is because of me and people like me that many get to sit in a restaurant, movie theatre or airplane without inhaling carcinogenic smoke. It is because of me and people like me that many are becoming aware of the dangers of gluten, sugar and other “food” products which is forcing the food companies to amend their offerings. It is because of me and people like me that many will be offered wellness programs at work and school…a practice that is proving to induce healthier lifestyles and money savings for all who participate.

With this post, I am not asking for recognition. I am not asking for donations. I am not even asking you to click the like button! But if you are so inclined to help, there is one thing that each and every one of you can do, and that is, “Listen to me before you condemn what I say!”

A long time ago, I stopped waiting for the country to change. I decided instead to be the change the country had been waiting for. You too have a voice, but please don’t use it against me and others who are trying to save lives, educate and empower. YES! I want to take soda and high fructose corn syrup away from kids, and if everyone really opened their eyes to its dangers, no children would be allowed to drink it. YES! I want to abolish smoking in public. I want clean air for everyone, and if there was no such thing as a cigarette, my father would still be alive, along with so many of our Country's citizens. YES! I want to eliminate sugar in all our schools. If educators and parents understood the correlation between sugar and obesity, diabetes, aggression, depression, alcoholism and drug use, they would want it gone to.

Although I don’t carry a weapon, I am a patriot and a soldier, and I believe one person can fight a war with love and goodness better than an army can with guns. I am a researcher of science and a teacher of truth, with a loud mouth and a rowdy pen, and I will never stop using either. In the end, I would rather die fighting for what I believe in, than live a life fighting regret…regret for the loss of people who don’t know any better or who are hell bent on killing themselves because, after all, “it is a free country.”

Join me or you may want to get out of my way, for I am a river, and what I can’t go around, I will go through. This Country needs to change direction, and whether everyone likes where I want to take it or not, trust that it will keep all of us alive and healthy. This Country needs a reality check, and like what I say or not, trust that it is factual. This Country needs a leader who will fight the tough fight, and like ME or not, I plan on continuing to be one of them. DM

2 comments:

DMongelli said...

While I admire your positive and courageous attitude and agree that we need to be the change we want to see happen in this country and even agree that items you mentioned are not healthy and should be avoided, I definitely disagree with making decisions for other people(either directly, indirectly, or through legal means unless they are harming someone other than themselves). All you can do is inform them and lead by example if someone wants to poison their body that is their prerogative and should be allowed to on public property in open air. After all the road to hell is paved in good intentions. Your good intentions will do no good unless they are paired with respect for personal liberties.

Donna said...

At this point in my life and career, I have stopped trying to help people who don't want to be helped. Now I just try to help the children and protect them from the damage we as adults inflict on them. They deserve better than smokey air and caustic sugar. Agree or don't agree, but I will do everything I can to save them from any negative result that "personal liberties" do to their little bodies.