Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fall Changes

"I might as well enjoy the ride" said the parrot, as it was being dragged by the cat. This is a Russion proverb that I came across years ago and it made such an impression on me that I actually am writing an entire chapter on it for one of my books. It reminds me to look at everything that happens in my life as a pleasureable experience, no matter how difficult it may seem.

This past year, I have learned so much about myself and the Universe because I became more aware of daily occurrences that were teaching me lessons. I decided to have gratitude towards everything, no matter how hurtful or difficult life seemed to get. I learned about resistance and how we sometimes want to stay angry or hurt or sad. We stay where we are comfortable or what feels normal instead of actually changing our minds about circumstance. But the minute we decide to "enjoy the ride" we let go of struggle and at that very moment, the perceived unpleasantness ends.

Learning this process is easy. Implementing it, however, is the challenge. When we are stuck in our humanness, we can't see anything, but what is right in front of us, and our opinion of that is usually negative. Fortunately, our soul energy is only a decision away, meaning that as soon as we decide to feel good about a situation, it happens. "I don't want to feel this way" is a good place to start. You might not know where the cat is dragging you, but you have control over how you feel as you move along. Once you let go of indignity, or fear, or anger, you can make a plan on how to proceed. It is amazing how brilliant we can be when our mind is clear of negativity!

The fall is approaching and with it brings a crispness that can't be compared to any other season. It is the beginning of the end, so to speak. It is when the trees release their need to hold onto what is dying. It is when plants stop their struggle and just allow themselves to rest. It is when the animal kingdom prepares for hybernation. All of this hubbub is for a very special reason. Everything seems to stop, but in reality, laying dormant is really just another growth stage. Next year when the spring arrives, all that was at rest comes to life with even more strength and growth and beauty.

If we could be like the Earth and adjust to the changes around us instead of resisting, how strong can we become? This fall, instead of holding onto negativity, allow it to just drop off. Enjoy each experience of change no matter how scary it may seem. Look for the every day miracles and redirect your attitude and reaction towards what is happening around you. Be the parrot and instead of being dragged kicking and screaming through your life, stop resisting and take a look around at the view you are being granted. Who knows, maybe that cat is taking you to a place you could have never gotten to on your own.

No matter what, the season is going to change. Ask yourself, 'am I going to resist it or am I going change with it?

No comments: